Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ron Popeil: My Hero




I recently finished Malcolm Gladwell's "What the Dog Saw", essentially a collection of  his New Yorker essays. Very good. Very, very informative.  Gladwell has a way of making you look at things in a whole new light. Although I was already ahead of one game: the genius of Ron Popeil.  You know, the man behind the Ginsu Knive, the Vego-Matic and dozens of other household items he has personally hyped on TV since the Seventies.  The man many people (including myself) considered to be cheap huckster was actually a very successful marketing genius. And an amateur engineer with more than a few patents to his credit.

I already had a couple of Ginsu knives that my wife bought at a yard sale and so I knew that everything he was selling wasn't snake oil (it actually will cut through metal and then cut through bread - over and over again).  But it wasn't until I inherited a Showtime Rotisserie oven from a co-worker's dead mom that I became one of the faithful.  This thing WORKS!

We use it all the time: whole chickens, roasts, sausages, vegetables, fish - you name it.  Everything is cooked perfectly, everything tastes 'real' like it just came off the coals and everything cleans up and stores under the counter. Fantastic.

I got it for free. I would pay $200 bucks for another one tomorrow if this one gave out on me. Whichis not likely. It's built like a tank.

So maybe I'll check out Ron's hair-in-a-can spray next.

No comments:

Post a Comment